Sergio Rodriguez Jarro went back to his lifelong artistic interests in 2000, while serving at the University of Miami as Vice President for Real Estate and Facilities. This followed a very rewarding professional life that included in the last few years serving the City of Miami Beach as City Manager, and the City of Miami as Assistant City Manager and Director of the Departments of Planning, Building and Zoning, and Public Works, as well as the citywide Homeless Program, and more than 10 years in city planning in Maryland.
The timing for his pursuit of artistic expression, more specifically, through painting, silkscreening and other visual media, coincided with the maturity that usually goes hand-in-hand with the freedom offered by years of personal and professional fulfillment. Hopefully, this newly found freedom will continue to challenge him in pursuing always-changing pictorial explorations.
As an artist, his newest work, under the guidance of internationally known artists at the University of Miami, follows the training he started at the universities of Florida and North Carolina at Chapel Hill and under other artistic influences, including Puerto Rico and Cuba.
His artistic interest tries to expresses mostly his spiritual beliefs and family values, his Cuban origin and the many years in Florida and other parts of the United States - his new-old country.
This site only shows objective artwork. It mostly represents images of Cuba based on memories of the last time the artist lived there, before he went into exile 50 years ago. They are not based in present-day reality...but in optimized selective memories. This might explain why the skies are such a bright blue, the grass and trees are so green, the earth tones range shows a rainbow of colors that includes purple, red, pinks and browns... and why the bromeliads in the woods in the dusk have such a bluish green imagery. They are also reminders of the fluid whispers made by water while running in small brooks and finding rocks in its path...the smell, texture and shine of trees and grass after an afternoon tropical shower...the sound of soft "maracas" when the breeze moves the leaves of the palm trees...the silence of the late afternoon that is only interrupted by the singing of the frogs...the continuous rumbas of the crickets playing their instruments...the quiet silence of the very early morning hours before Havana wakes up...the inviting rhythm of street vendors selling peanuts and tamales...These are only visual and auditory images...tastes...memories...they are not "the reality", but what the artist had embedded in his memory during his first few years in Cuba, as well as, images from others that he has seen since then incorporated to his visual vocabulary and that he tries to represent here.
More than 90 of his works are now part of museums, universities, corporate and private collections.
He has exhibited in several national and international, group and individual shows. In several of the most recent ones, some of his entries shown on this site received special recognition, among them:
· “The 13th Painting, Drawing, Print & Photography Juried International Art Exhibition” at www.UpstreamPeopleGallery.com, 2 of his entries from the Spiritual Series shown on this site, received special recognition.
· “The 2012 6th Biennal Latin Network for the Visual Arts” in Connecticut at www.LNVA.us
· “The Masur Museum of Art 49th Annual Juried Exhibition” at www.masurmuseum.org
For a sample of his non-objective work, please see website: www.sergio-rodriguez.net
Sergio Rodriguez Jarro has exhibited nationally and internationally, in group and individual shows including - most recently:
- University of Wisconsin at LaCrosse
- University of West Australia
- CAS Gallery 2005, Coral Gables, Florida (one man show: de aqui…y de alla…)
- ICCACS at Casa Bacardi 2006, Coral Gables (one man show)
- Wynwood Art District Project Space 2006
- CANE ART FAIR 2007
- University of Miami Gallery Space at the Rainbow Building
- AMITY ART 2008
- CAS Gallery 2008
- Beaux Arts Festival 2008, 2009
- CURRENT ARTISTS at Wynwood Art District 2008
- University of Florida Gator Contest 2008
- TEN UM ARTISTS 2009
- The Vault Show 2009 at the East Gallery, Vault Museo, Miami
- ART MIAMI 2009 (BASEL/MIAMI-related)
- Spring into Art at Lowe Art Museum 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
- UM Alumni Association 2010
- UM Global Institute for Victims of Haiti 2010
- Angels Among Us, Tampa, Florida 2011
- Citizens for a Better South Florida, MIami, Florida 2011, 2012, 2013
- Lowe Art Museum Annual Juried Exhibit 2001, 2011, 2013
- The 13th Painting, Drawing, Print & Photography Juried International Art Exhibition 2011
- Upstream People Gallery 2011
- Sixth Biennal - La Sexta Bienal, the Latin View 2012, Latin Network for the Visual Arts, Connecticut
- 49th Annual Juried Exhibition 2012,
- Masur Museum of Art, Louisiana 2012
- The Salon de Refuses 2012, 2013, 2015
- Angel Backpack 2013
- Impromptu: 65 piece one-man show in Miami - December 4 to 9, 2013
- Botanical Planes at Marcano/Maldonado Art Gallery - January 18 to 25, 2014
- The 2014 Final Biennial Latin Network for the Visual Arts International Exhibition, Alexey von Schilippe Gallery of Art
- CUBA ARTE Exhibit at Casa Bacardi - February 2015
- CAS Gallery 2015, Coral Gables, Florida
His paintings and prints are in the collections of the UM Department of Art and Art History; the Amity Art Foundation in Woodbridge, Connecticut; the University of West Australia; the Florida Printmakers and in several private collections as specifically noted in the website